The federal government recently confirmed the discovery of crude oil in Borno State, North East Nigeria, thus raising the hope of the region joining the league of oil producing areas in the not-too-distant time.
The disclosure was made by the permanent secretary, Ministry of Petroleum Resources, Dr. Jamila Shua’ra, when she presented her welcome address at the presentation of the 2016 petroleum sector scorecard held at the auditorium of the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PDF) in Abuja.
Here are 10 things that will happen to Borno State after the discovery of oil in commercial quantities as compiled by Kalu Aja:
1. The oil revenues from Borno State will be taken to FAAC and shared to all States…Borno will retain only 13%
2. Agriculture in Borno will die immediately…
3. Borno State Government will buy a Private Jet to visit all Local Governments in the State, and an Air Ambulance in case the Execuitve falls ill.
4. Shoprite Stores will open three branches in Borno State and sell plasma TVs and Deep freezers…it will run out of stock.
5. Borno State Government will employ 500,000 new State civil servants
6. Maiduguri, the Capital city will not have running water to all homes or functional emergency ambulance services, but it will have three new airports, one per Senatorial vote, all International.
7. The Petroleum Industry Governance Bill – PIGB will be passed in one month when Host Community Fund in the PIGB will be increased from 10% to 60%
8. A movement for the emergence of the “Kanuri Empire” will arise, and seek for greater autonomy from Abuja
9. The next Gubernatorial elections in Borno will be similar to what happened in Rivers State
10. The debt profile of Borno State will increase