The World Health Organization (WHO) is the United Nations’ agency for health. The organization focuses on four main areas, led by health intervention efforts, such as control and prevention of HIV/AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis. Other WHO priorities include support for government health programs; development of health policies, products, and systems; and efforts related to determinants of health, such as food safety and nutrition. The WHO operates from six regional offices worldwide and national offices in about 150 countries. Budget and policy oversight for the organization is provided by the World Health Assembly, which includes representatives of more than 190 countries. The WHO was founded in 1948.
Job Title: Data Assistant (Polio Lab)
The mission of WHO is the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/17/SSA1
Title: Data Assistant (Polio Lab Maiduguri)
Contract type: Special Service Agreement
Duration of contract: 12 Months
Date: 3 January 2017
Application Deadline: 18 January 2017
(14 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Duty Station: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Organization unit: AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA) /
AF_NG3 Technical Units (AF_NG3)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
The objective of the post is to ensure the ever increasing workload of the polio laboratory is supported by additional human resource with data management capacity to maintain quality of laboratory data (a) ensure availability of quality, timely, and complete information that guides the surveillance (b) provide a dedicated Data Assistant to Polio lab that relieves other technical lab personnel to focus on specimen processing . (c) ensure proper documentation of all case investigation forms and lab results.
Description of duties:
Under the overall guidance of the Maiduguri Polio Laboratory Director and over all supervision of WHO Data Assistant, the staff will carry out the following specific task:
1. Establish, maintain and up-date Polio laboratory databases pertaining to AFP/contact and lab result
2. Perform data harmonization and cleaning on all AFP data received using the WHO Data Quality Check and harmonization Tool.
3. Ensures weekly submission of the polio lab data to the director to share with AFRO as per the agreed timeline
4. Provide regular feedback on any data harmonization issue to the concerned zone and state.
5. Track and obtain missing or incomplete data/reports and provide feedback to relevant levels.
6. Produce weekly, monthly and quarterly analysis feedback on key polio laboratory indicators
7. Create and secure back-up copies of data in the lab.
8. Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative
Diploma in Computer Science, Statistics, data management or related field with additional data laboratory training.
Working knowledge of laboratory, preferably Polio laboratory.
Ability to acquire sound knowledge of WHO rules, regulations and procedures. Demonstrated abilities for team-work.
Ability to establish and maintain good relations with people at various levels and of different background.
At least 2 years’ experience in health related data management.
Experience in quality collection, analysis, dissemination, and use of health information for program planning and management.
Experience in Ms. Access database tool management.