It is a major breakthrough and seen as the last straw on the Islamic group’s stronghold in northeast Nigeria, but it leaves questions about the whereabouts of the remaining abducted Chibok girls taken from their school’s dormitory on April 14, 2014.
Over 200 girls were abducted but less than 70 of them have been rescued since then.
The remaining girls are thought to be held in Sambisa forest, but the Presidency thinks there are chances they were not held in the forest after all
After a statement by President Muhammadu Buhari announced the fall of ‘camp zero’, a spokesman for the President, Mr Femi Adesina, told Channels Television that “there is no single place which we can say is the bulwark of the Boko Haram”.
“You know their last stand was within Sambisa forest which they had occupied for some time.
“The military entered into it fully, a while back, and they gave the target that by the end of December they wanted to be done with the issue of insurgency and on Thursday, December 22, camp zero fell and that is very significant”.
On the girls he said: “Those who naturally are alive and escaped would be scattered in different places. Some would likely have gone out of the country and some would have infiltrated into camps and cities.
“That is why the President said we must not let down our guards. He has appealed to Nigerians to blow the whistle against anyone they suspect,” he stated.