Merry Christmas once again and I wish you a prosperous New Year (2017) ahead in Jesus name. The year is coming to an end very fast and reflecting on what to write as the last piece of the year 2016 for ‘Inspire’ is a bit weighty but I found inspiration in the words of Apostle Paul to the Philippian church.
“Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but THIS ONE THING I DO, forgetting those things which are behind (2016) and reaching forth to those things which are before (2017), I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus”… Philp 3 v 13-14
These are my Last Words for the year and it is hopefully to inspire you on how to end the year. Many people really don’t know the best way to end something good but always desire a speedy end to anything bad. Ending is more important than Starting, and the scriptures encouraged us in that same light, ‘Better is the end of a thing than the beginning…’ (Eccl 7 v 8). The following are my thoughts on how to end well and start a new year with verve.
5 SECRETS TO HAPPY ENDINGS
- Never Consider The Job Done: This is what we term ‘I have arrived syndrome’ which many unwise people display in life. It is the killer of enthusiasm and drive Paul the apostle was undoubtedly successful at this point in time in his ministry yet, he shared his secret with us by saying ‘I count or consider myself not to have apprehended or ARRIVED…’.
- Focus: I love the words used here by the Holy Spirit in this epistle, ‘This One Thing I Do…’ A life of focus is what epitomizes character. In fact God doesn’t like unstable people and James mentioned that they will receive nothing from God. ‘Let not that man think he shall receive anything of the Lord, A double minded man is unstable in all his ways’… James 1 v 7-8. You must finish the year with Focus on the next year ahead and not look back at this year.
- Forgetting Those Things Behind: This is probably the most powerful key to Happy Endings; swiftly forgetting those things behind because they have the capacity of hampering those things ahead. The past can be a distraction especially the successes of the past. Paul didn’t qualify those things but I reckon he was speaking about the past successes of ministry not failures which is usually what we want to put behind us. Begin to put 2016 behind you with its successes and failures, ensure you learn to FORGET those things that can hinder your moving forward in 2017. The recession, disappointments, hurts, backstabbing, pains etc.
- Reach Forth To Those Things Ahead: 2017 is a few days away and the next time you will be reading Inspire will be in the new year, so kindly start your year before others by ‘reaching’ forth to the year with a lot of enthusiasm and energy. I can’t wait for the clock to usher in the New Year, my dreams, vision and goals are all burning in my bones like fire. I am roaring to go and ready to move mountains in 2017. Paul shared this secret saliently and I want to emphasize it. Reaching forth to the goodies in the year ahead is driving me passionately to God’s presence and can’t wait for the cross over service to sing praises to the Lord.
- I Press Towards The Mark: Finally the last secret to happy endings is to understand the role of Pressure in success. There are many people who want to get to the mark or achieve their ‘goals’ without Pressure, Pain and Stress. Paul thought otherwise when he said, ‘I Press Towards…’ To press is the same as pressure, your attitude towards pressure will likely determine your altitude in life. Pressure is good if it brings out the best in you. Like I often say to my members, ‘Pleasure and Pressure reveals character of men’. Don’t let pressure bring out the beast in you but the best in you as achievers. Press towards 2017 with all pleasure and leap into your best year yet.
I wish you a fulfilling year ahead and be safely inspired.
Yomi Kasali (Rev)